No matter whether you work in corporate finance or on a construction site, everyone is at risk of getting injured at work, so it is important to know what to do if this happens. Here is a quick guide to follow:

Notify your employer

As soon as you’re injured or discover a work-related illness, you must contact your supervisor immediately and provide him/her with full details of the incident, including the date and place of the injury. You will not receive compensation for your injuries until you file a claim.  Make sure you provide your employer with a descriptive illustration as to what occurred in addition to requesting any witnesses (example – coworkers who saw the accident occur) to provide a statement on your behalf. Once you have lost a day, shift, or turn of work, your employer must report your injury or illness to the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation. Note, if you fail to properly inform your employer about your work-related injury within 120 days from the date in which it occurred, then you will not be eligible to file a claim against them. Your employer may choose to either accept or deny the claim. If denied, you have the right to file a claim with the bureau for a hearing before a workers’ compensation judge. Further, if your employer does not have workers’ compensation insurance to cover your damages, you may be eligible for benefits from the Uninsured Employer Guaranty Fund.

Consult a Doctor

See a doctor as soon as possible following the accident. If it is serious, you should go to the emergency room. If it’s not serious, ask your employer if they require you to see a particular physician. If you are not satisfied with this doctor, you should consider getting a second opinion from a different doctor. Even if workers’ compensation doesn’t cover this, it may be worth it to pay for yourself. Your health is first and foremost. You could stand to lose a lot more in benefits than it will cost you to get another evaluation.

Ensure a Report Has Been Filed

It is up to your employer to file a workers’ compensation claim with their insurance company on your behalf, so make sure you notified your employer. Follow up to make sure that the claim is filed. You are entitled to a copy of the filed claim.

Consult a Workers’ Compensation Attorney

We offer free consultations so we can discuss your case without the burden of payment. When you are injured, the last thing you need is more stress and worry. Contact us and we’ll help you turn your life around.