Workers’ Comp Attorney Horsham PA
In your work environment, there is always a risk of being injured. For example, you might lift something heavy and hurt your back, or you might slip and fall on a wet floor, causing broken bones or muscle strains.
Every year, millions of workers in the United States are injured on the job. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), there were 2.7 million nonfatal workplace injuries and illnesses reported by private industry employers in 2020.
This means that, on average, 7,000 workers were injured every day last year. And while the rate of workplace injuries has declined over the past few decades, there are still far too many people getting hurt at work. If you are injured at work or fall ill due to your work environment, you may be able to receive workers’ compensation.
Workers’ Compensation in Horsham PA
Administered by state governments as part of social welfare programs, workers’ compensation is a benefits system meant to monetarily compensate workers who contract an illness or suffer injuries at the workplace.
All employers in Horsham, PA are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. If your employer does not have workers’ compensation insurance, you may still be eligible for benefits through the Uninsured Employer Guarantee Fund which is administered by the Pennsylvania Workers Compensation Bureau.
There are a few ways that one may be eligible for workers’ compensation:
- You are injured while working.
- You develop an illness or disease that is due to your work environment.
- You suffer injuries as a result of an accident in the workplace.
What to Do if You Are Injured at Work to Claim Workers’ Compensation
Employees who are injured at work may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits that can help them cover medical expenses and lost wages while they recover from their injuries.
In order to ensure a smooth claim, workers must make sure to take the following steps after a work-related injury or illness:
- Immediately report the injury to their employer
- Seek medical treatment for their injuries and document all procedures, medicines, and doctors’ notes
- Cooperate with their employer’s workers’ compensation insurance provider
- Engage a workers’ comp attorney in Horsham PA to help navigate the system
Workers’ Comp Benefits for Employees
In general, workers’ compensation covers medical expenses and income replacement for workers who are injured or who contract an illness at work. It, however, does not cover injuries that occur outside of work or those that are self-inflicted.
- Medical benefits: Workers’ compensation typically covers the cost of medical treatment related to a work-related injury or illness. This can include the cost of hospitalization, prescriptions, and physical therapy.
- Wage replacement benefits: These are given to replace a portion of the employee’s lost wages in case they are unable to work due to their injury or illness. Wage replacement benefits help sustain the worker while they recover from their injuries.
- Death benefits: If an employee dies as a result of a work-related injury or illness, their surviving family members may be eligible to receive death benefits that help cover funeral and burial expenses.
Why Work With a Workers’ Comp Attorney in Horsham, PA
Unfortunately, some employers try to take advantage of workers who are injured on the job. They may pressure you to return to work before you’re ready or try to downplay the seriousness of your injuries.
An experienced workers’ comp attorney in Horsham, PA can help level the playing field and make sure you’re being treated fairly. From proving the extent of your injuries to communicating with the insurance company, a lawyer makes sure that you successfully navigate the complexities of the workers’ compensation system, file your claim properly, and get the compensation you rightfully deserve.